Outside the Office
As much as Paul and his wife Mary Elizabeth enjoy traveling to points around the world, they reserve plenty of "home" time with their two granddaughters
Few attorneys can engage an audience of 12 with the energy and compassion of Paul Stritmatter. He enjoys presenting to juries and winning justice for his plaintiff clients against major auto makers, state and local governments, product manufacturers, contractors and parties in auto collisions. Most recently, Washington Super Lawyers and Willamette Lawyer each ran cover articles that detail Paul’s career.
With his love of teaching and sharing with other attorneys, Paul has come out with publications that include, Cross Examination and Subrogation. The latter has a companion website/blog, FightSubro.com.
One of Paul’s trademarks is how deeply he develops a personal interest in each client’s situation. He builds a relationship of trust and understanding, supporting clients through the entire litigation process. Fervently working on behalf of his clients, Paul has successfully achieved dozens of verdicts and settlements of more than several million dollars each.
Paul has been a leader in the legal community for decades. He is a founding member and was 2003 president of the Trial Lawyers for Public Justice. He also was president of the Washington State Trial Lawyers Association and the Washington State Bar Association. The American Bar Association awarded Paul its Pursuit of Justice Award in 2003 for his lifelong devotion to the profession and for significant contributions to the pursuit of justice.
While his cases and legal association duties take him across the country, Paul is happy to work from the firm’s office in Hoquiam, WA, where he was born and raised.
+ Awards & Recognitions
- Champion of Justice Award, Public Justice, 2010
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Washington State Association for Justice, 2009
- Trial Lawyer of the Year, American Board of Trial Advocates (WA Chapter), 2005
- Pursuit of Justice Award, American Bar Association, 2003
- Alvin Anderson Award, Washington State Association for Justice, YYYY
- President's Award, Washington State Association for Justice, YYYY
- Award of Merit, Washington State Bar Association, 1995
- Distinguished Alumni Award in Law, Willamette University, 1994
- Small Town Lawyer Made Good Award, Poulsbo Bar Association, 1990
- Trial Lawyer of the Year, Washington State Association for Justice, 1987
- Listed as one of the 60 Grays Harbor County persons over time who have been recognized nationally in various endeavors, The Harbor - a culture of success, 2002
- Named as Top 10 Super Lawyer in Washington State, Super Lawyers, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2017, 2018
- Named as Top 100 Super Lawyer in Washington State, Super Lawyers 2003-2018
- Listed in "The Best Lawyers in America", Best Lawyers publication, 1989-present
- Named as one of the top 500 Leading Litigants in America, Lawdragon Magazine, 2006
- Named as one of the top 500 Leading Plaintiffs' Lawyers in America, Lawdragon Magazine, 2007
- Named as one of the top 500 Leading Lawyers in America, Lawdragon Magazine, 2009, 2001. 2012, 2014, 2015
- Rated AV (highest available rating), Martindale-Hubbell, 1975-present
+ Memberships & Leadership
- American Association for Justice (AAJ): Board of Governors 1990-1993, State Delegate 1986-1990, Public Affairs Committee 1985-1987, State Development Fund Board 1985-1986, Circuit Key Men Committee 1985-1986, Committee on Ethics 1987-1993
- Access to Justice Board: Chairman, appointed by Washington State Supreme Court 1994 - 1998
- American Judicature Society Association of Trial Lawyers of America: Board of Governors 1990-1993
- LAW Fund: Board of Directors 1990-Y???
- Public Justice: President 2002-2003, Founding Member 1982
- Washington State Association for Justice (WSAJ): President 1984-1985, Foundation Board of Directors 2000-present
- Washington State Bar Association (WSBA): President YY??
- Washington State Supreme Court: Appointed to the Jury Instructions committee by the Washington State Supreme Court YY??, Clerk to Justices Matthew Hill and Charles Stafford YY??
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Damage Attorneys Round Table
- Washington State Head Injury Foundation
To view please click the 🔍 link, where applicable.
- ERISA Subrogation and Reimbursement Update, AAJ, July 2013 and WSAJ 2013 Annual Meeting and Convention. [🔍]
- "Sex, Lies & Subrogation," WSAJ 2011 Annual Meeting and Convention, Whistler, B.C.
- "Medicare/ERISA," WSAJ 2011 Annual Meeting and Convention, Whistler, B.C.
- "Ethel Adams v. Farmers Insurance Exchange," WA State Bar Association - High Profile Cases: Experience the Cases with the Lawyers Who Tried Them, Oct. 2008
- "How the Case of Ethel Adams Changed the Law," AAJ, Litigation at Sunrise, July 2007
- "How to Try Damages Without Medical Testimony," WSTLA*, Hot Topics Seminar, Oct. 2006
- "Effective Use of Demonstrative Evidence to Win Sanction Motions for Discovery Violations," WSTLA*, Hot Topics Seminar, Oct. 2006
- "Cross Examination," ATLA [now American Association for Justice (AAJ)], Annual Convention, July 2006
- "Confidentiality in Tort Settlements," Listen to podcast, produced at ATLA Convention with radio host Tony Robinson, 2006.
- "Arguing Damages," WSTLA* Trial Stars, December 2003
- "Closing Argument", WSTLA* Damages seminar, March 2002
- "The Ultimate Sanction/A Case Study", WSTLA* Paris Seminar, Continuing Legal Education, Sept. 2000
- "Why I'm a Trial Lawyer", ATLA [Now AAJ] Annual Convention, July 2000
- "Damages in Mediation and Negotiations", WSTLA* Trial Masters Seminar, Dec. 1999
- "Representing Plaintiffs", University of Washington, Dean's Roundtable Luncheon, Nov. 1998
- "Practicing Law with Civility", WSBA - Winning Strategy for the Successful Private Practice, Sept. 1998
- "The Fine Art of Opening Statements", ACTL, Trial Lawyers' Greatest Hits '97, Dec. 1997
- "Keeping the Faith: Restoring Trust in the Legal Profession", WA Attorney General's Conference, Sept. 1997
- "Presentation and Demonstration of Damages and Closing Statements", WSTLA*, Best of WSTLA Series: Openings, Closings and Presenting Damages, Sept. 1996
- "How to Improve Your Initial Client Interviews & Intake Procedures", University of Washington, 2nd Annual Northwest Trial Mastery Demonstration Program , Deciding Whether to Take the Case, June 1997
- "Representing Plaintiffs", KCBA and Washington Journal
- "Bridging the Gap" program, Dec. 1995
- WSTLA* Convention, July 1987 - "Subrogation - The Primary Intent of the Law"
- WSTLA - Insurance Law Potpourri, December 1977 - "Subrogation."
+ Stritmatter in the News
To view the article please click the 🔍 link, where applicable.
- Picking Fights with Big Shots, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2013 [🔍]
- Stritmatter honored by his peers, The Daily World, 2009
To view the article please click the 🔍 link, where applicable.
- Willamette University College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1969
- University of Washington, B.A. Economics, 1966