Outside the Office
Brad enjoys spending time with his wife, Suwalee, and their daughters, Arita and Aleeya. He is an avid golfer. The lifelong Seattle resident often travels overseas, and calls Thailand his favorite destination.
As a partner in the Seattle offices of Stritmatter Kessler, Brad’s practice focuses on nursing home liability, products liability, aviation injuries, class actions and insurance litigation. His insurance work involves pursuing Coverage, Bad Faith, and Consumer Protection Act claims on behalf of policyholders and insureds
Brad has tried to verdict or judgment over 75 cases and settled hundreds more. As reported in Washington Law and Politics, Brad’s peers have voted him a “Super Lawyer” each of the past 14 years. He has presented at over 30 legal seminars and written numerous articles and papers on law-related issues over the years. He has twice chaired the Washington State Trial Lawyer Associations Insurance Law section.
Outside the office, Brad currently serves on the Board of Directors for the Public Justice Foundation, the nation’s preeminent public interest law firm, and also acts as Public Justice’s President and state coordinator. He has also presided over more than 30 arbitrations in King, Pierce, Snohomish and Thurston counties.
+ Awards & Recognitions
- Champion of Justice Award, Public Justice, 2010
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Washington State Association for Justice, 2009
- Trial Lawyer of the Year, American Board of Trial Advocates (WA Chapter), 2005
- Pursuit of Justice Award, American Bar Association, 2003
- Alvin Anderson Award, Washington State Association for Justice, YYYY
- President's Award, Washington State Association for Justice, YYYY
- Award of Merit, Washington State Bar Association, 1995
- Distinguished Alumni Award in Law, Willamette University, 1994
- Small Town Lawyer Made Good Award, Poulsbo Bar Association, 1990
- Trial Lawyer of the Year, Washington State Association for Justice, 1987
- Listed as one of the 60 Grays Harbor County persons over time who have been recognized nationally in various endeavors, The Harbor - a culture of success, 2002
- Named as Top 10 Super Lawyer in Washington State, Super Lawyers, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2017, 2018
- Named as Top 100 Super Lawyer in Washington State, Super Lawyers 2003-2018
- Listed in "The Best Lawyers in America", Best Lawyers publication, 1989-present
- Named as one of the top 500 Leading Litigants in America, Lawdragon Magazine, 2006
- Named as one of the top 500 Leading Plaintiffs' Lawyers in America, Lawdragon Magazine, 2007
- Named as one of the top 500 Leading Lawyers in America, Lawdragon Magazine, 2009, 2001. 2012, 2014, 2015
- Rated AV (highest available rating), Martindale-Hubbell, 1975-present
+ Memberships & Leadership
- American Association for Justice (AAJ): Board of Governors 1990-1993, State Delegate 1986-1990, Public Affairs Committee 1985-1987, State Development Fund Board 1985-1986, Circuit Key Men Committee 1985-1986, Committee on Ethics 1987-1993
- Access to Justice Board: Chairman, appointed by Washington State Supreme Court 1994 - 1998
- American Judicature Society Association of Trial Lawyers of America: Board of Governors 1990-1993
- LAW Fund: Board of Directors 1990-Y???
- Public Justice: President 2002-2003, Founding Member 1982
- Washington State Association for Justice (WSAJ): President 1984-1985, Foundation Board of Directors 2000-present
- Washington State Bar Association (WSBA): President YY??
- Washington State Supreme Court: Appointed to the Jury Instructions committee by the Washington State Supreme Court YY??, Clerk to Justices Matthew Hill and Charles Stafford YY??
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Damage Attorneys Round Table
- Washington State Head Injury Foundation
To view please click the 🔍 link, where applicable.
- ERISA Subrogation and Reimbursement Update, AAJ, July 2013 and WSAJ 2013 Annual Meeting and Convention. [🔍]
- "Sex, Lies & Subrogation," WSAJ 2011 Annual Meeting and Convention, Whistler, B.C.
- "Medicare/ERISA," WSAJ 2011 Annual Meeting and Convention, Whistler, B.C.
- "Ethel Adams v. Farmers Insurance Exchange," WA State Bar Association - High Profile Cases: Experience the Cases with the Lawyers Who Tried Them, Oct. 2008
- "How the Case of Ethel Adams Changed the Law," AAJ, Litigation at Sunrise, July 2007
- "How to Try Damages Without Medical Testimony," WSTLA*, Hot Topics Seminar, Oct. 2006
- "Effective Use of Demonstrative Evidence to Win Sanction Motions for Discovery Violations," WSTLA*, Hot Topics Seminar, Oct. 2006
- "Cross Examination," ATLA [now American Association for Justice (AAJ)], Annual Convention, July 2006
- "Confidentiality in Tort Settlements," Listen to podcast, produced at ATLA Convention with radio host Tony Robinson, 2006.
- "Arguing Damages," WSTLA* Trial Stars, December 2003
- "Closing Argument", WSTLA* Damages seminar, March 2002
- "The Ultimate Sanction/A Case Study", WSTLA* Paris Seminar, Continuing Legal Education, Sept. 2000
- "Why I'm a Trial Lawyer", ATLA [Now AAJ] Annual Convention, July 2000
- "Damages in Mediation and Negotiations", WSTLA* Trial Masters Seminar, Dec. 1999
- "Representing Plaintiffs", University of Washington, Dean's Roundtable Luncheon, Nov. 1998
- "Practicing Law with Civility", WSBA - Winning Strategy for the Successful Private Practice, Sept. 1998
- "The Fine Art of Opening Statements", ACTL, Trial Lawyers' Greatest Hits '97, Dec. 1997
- "Keeping the Faith: Restoring Trust in the Legal Profession", WA Attorney General's Conference, Sept. 1997
- "Presentation and Demonstration of Damages and Closing Statements", WSTLA*, Best of WSTLA Series: Openings, Closings and Presenting Damages, Sept. 1996
- "How to Improve Your Initial Client Interviews & Intake Procedures", University of Washington, 2nd Annual Northwest Trial Mastery Demonstration Program , Deciding Whether to Take the Case, June 1997
- "Representing Plaintiffs", KCBA and Washington Journal
- "Bridging the Gap" program, Dec. 1995
- WSTLA* Convention, July 1987 - "Subrogation - The Primary Intent of the Law"
- WSTLA - Insurance Law Potpourri, December 1977 - "Subrogation."
+ Stritmatter in the News
To view the article please click the 🔍 link, where applicable.
- Picking Fights with Big Shots, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2013 [🔍]
- Stritmatter honored by his peers, The Daily World, 2009
To view the article please click the 🔍 link, where applicable.
- Willamette University College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1969
- University of Washington, B.A. Economics, 1966