Ray Kahler has been with SKW since 1996. Ray has represented clients in a wide variety of personal injury and insurance claims, including product liability, toxic exposure, highway safety, medical malpractice, premises liability, workplace injuries, over-service of alcohol, consumer class actions, and motor vehicle collisions.
In 2014, Ray tried a case, Lee v. Willis Enterprises and Fletcher, on behalf of a man who suffered severe tinnitus and hyperacusis as a result of an electrical explosion. Lee garnered attention from the press, when a jury awarded Verl and Marsha Lee a $3.8 million verdict. Other cases Ray has handled include a product liability case against the manufacturer of a machine that made glass bottles, a $1,500,000 wrongful death settlement on behalf of the family of a firefighter who died during a surf rescue training exercise, and a $2,900,000 settlement for a man who suffered a moderate traumatic brain injury in a motorcycle crash.
Ray also has extensive experience handling appeals. He has handled appeals in the Washington Court of Appeals, Washington Supreme Court, and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. Some of the appeals he has handled include Munich v. Skagit 911, 175 Wn.2d 871 (2012), Unruh v. Cacchiotti, 172 Wn.2d 98 (2011), and McCallum v. Allstate, 149 Wn. App. 412 (2009).
Ray has been recognized as a “Super Lawyer” since 2011 and received the Hoquiam Business Association’s Next Generation award (2011). He has presented at numerous legal education seminars and has written several articles and chapters in legal publications.
Ray graduated magna cum laude from Harvard Law School in 1996, where he was a member of the Law Review. He received his undergraduate degree magna cum laude from the University of Puget Sound.
The most rewarding aspect of his work is building relationships with clients.
In his spare time, Ray has been the president of the 7th Street Theatre Association, which owns and operates a historic theater in Hoquiam, since 2004. He was also president of the Evergreen Counseling Center board of directors and was on the Grays Harbor Economic Development Council board.
Tap to select and view
- Grays Harbor County Bar Association (president, 1999-2001)
- Grays Harbor Roundtable,Washington State Trial Lawyers Association(chair,1997-2002) Washington State Bar Association Washington State Trial Lawyers Association Trial Lawyers for Public Justice
- Product Liability CLE, Strategies for attacking common defenses made by product manufacturers, December 2011
- ERISA 2009, WSAJ Insurance Law Seminar, 2009
- Go Beyond -- "Know Your Deponent," NBI Depositions seminar, 2008
- Why PIP and Medical Liens Should Not Be Disclosed to the Defense, WSAJ Obtaining Fair Settlements seminar, 2008
- Forming the Damages Case -- Identification: Determining the Extent of Loss, WSAJ Damages Essentials seminar, 2005
- Enforcing the Limits of CR 35: Preventing "Examinations" by Defense Vocational Experts, WSAJ Defense Medical Exam seminar, 2005
- Overview of Washington's Wrongful Death and Survival Statutes, WSAJ Wrongful Death seminar, 2005
- "Enforcing the Limits of CR 35", WSTLA Brain Injury seminar, May 2003
- "Tort Liability Arising Out of Mold Exposure" Buildex Conference, Sept. 2000