We call him “Bike Man Dan” because of his passion for cycling and his bicycle safety advocacy. He has co-authored our firm’s booklet on the subject of Bicycle Litgation. Dan regularly represents those wrongly injured in bicycle-related collisions and approaches each bicycle claim realistically with the eye of an experienced and prudent cyclist.
Still, Dan’s legal experience goes well beyond two wheels. Over the last quarter century, Dan has acquired significant experience in personal injury, aviation law, automotive and industrial product liability, medical malpractice, sex abuse, employment discrimination, insurance company misconduct, and estate disputes.
For over a dozen years, Dan represented manufacturers, insurers and governments in high-stakes injury litigation for serious bodily injury and death arising from industrial injuries, motor vehicle crashes, small airplane and helicopter crashes, mass air disasters, and toxic torts.
In 2006, Dan started devoting his practice to representing seriously injured persons, those wrongfully denied insurance benefits, and employees who have suffered illegal discrimination on the basis of their sex, disability, or race. Since then, Dan has recovered millions of dollars on behalf of his injured clients.
For example, Dan obtained a settlement for a child, whose eye was seriously damaged at a government daycare facility, equal to the highest reported settlement at the time for an injury of similar type in the state. Dan has recovered significant settlements for people permanently debilitated by surgical and dental mistakes. Dan also was able to force an insurance company to restore critical long-term disability income benefits to a cancer victim after the insurance company cut off her payments in spite of the ravages of her chemotherapy. The court even forced her insurer to pay all of her reasonable attorney’s fees and costs.
Dan has represented multiple claimants in multi-million dollar estate claims. Some of his other important victories for plaintiffs include recoveries on behalf of a man who contracted a spinal infection from a physician’s injections; a man nearly killed by a falling tree; a woman who was sexually harassed by her employer; and a woman who suffered a lifetime of sexual abuse by her father. Dan has also represented numerous victims of motor vehicle collisions, industrial accidents, and falls, some of them with permanent skeletal and brain injuries.
Dan has tried or co-tried 17 cases and has arbitrated or settled many more. He is also regularly appointed by the Superior Courts of King and Snohomish counties as arbitrator in mandatory arbitration cases.
As an officer of the American Association for Justice’s Product Liability Section, he is an active member of its Aviation Law Section and Bicycle Litigation Group, and a frequent speaker at legal education seminars.
Tap to select and view
- Washington State Bar Association
- Washington State Association for Justice
- American Association for Justice
- King County Bar Association
- (Past Chair, Aviation and Professionalism Committees)
- Snohomish County Bar Association
- Cascade Bicycle Club
- Rated “AV” by Martindale Hubbell
- Law Clerk, Hon. John Feikens, United States District Court (E.D. Mich.) 1989-90
- Articles Editor, Michigan Journal of International Law, Volume 10
- Book Award, Writing & Advocacy, University of Michigan Law School
- National Merit Scholar, University of Chicago
- Chapter Author: Washington Civil Procedure Deskbook, Washington State Bar Association, upcoming 2014 edition, 2001 edition & 1996 update
- Frequent presenter at legal education seminars
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- All Washington State Superior Courts
- Washington State Bar