A powerful champion in a mild mannered package. This is how colleagues and clients often describe Catherine. Ms. Fleming has tackled a wide range of cases at the firm. She brings a wide array of talents, including her in-depth knowledge/experience in the areas of digital privacy/security. In a massive data breach case, Ms Fleming was responsible for calling out an issue before the Court, which ultimately prevented relieving a set of potential defendants from liability claims in future litigation. Her focus on the best interest of her clients and the entire class was far more important to her than expediting the approval of the preliminary settlement agreement. Her clients love her because she cares about them like they are part of her family.
A Seattle law firm is announcing a class action lawsuit against Equifax after a data breach exposed information of 143 million customers.
Posted by KING 5 on Tuesday, September 12, 2017
At law school, Catherine served on the board of the law journal, Seattle Journal for Social Justice, as the Research and Technical Editor. She has been instrumental in getting the SKW publications from rough draft to the final publication.
Ms. Fleming began her time at Stritmatter Kessler as a law clerk in 2005. Upon graduating from law school in 2007, Catherine has continued to contribute to the firm with a focus on consumer protection class action, wrongful death, nursing home abuse, insurance bad faith/breach of contract, and serious injury cases. As a carryover from her previous career at high tech companies, including Microsoft and Qwest (now Century Link) and digital marketing agencies, she is particularly passionate about righting wrongs on behalf of consumers who have suffered because of a company’s negligent handling of their sensitive, personal information and/or improper marketing practices.
Ms. Fleming was counsel for two lead plaintiffs in a national, federal multi-district litigation, In re Anthem Data Breach, for Anthem’s failure to maintain the confidentiality of the personal information of approximately 80 million Americans, in one of the largest data breaches in U.S. history.
Catherine currently represents plaintiffs for class action lawsuits, such as a 2016 defective roof shingle class action, individual data privacy cases, data breach/consumer protection class actions against Equifax, data breach cases against Anthem/Amerigroup, Johnson & Johnson talc powder/ovarian powder cases along with an array of other consumer protection cases.
Tap to select and view
- Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Cooperating Attorney
- American Association for Justice (AAJ), President's Circle
- American Association for Justice, Data Breach/Privacy Litigation Group Member
- American Association for Justice, Class Action Litigation Group
- Public Justice, Communications Committee Member
- American Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association, Western District of Washington
- Women in Security and Privacy
- International Association for Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Washington State Association for Justice, EAGLE Member
- Washington State Association for Justice, Diversity Committee Co-Chair
- Washington State Association for Justice, CLE Committee Member
- Catharine Blaine PTA, Co-Secretary (2016-2018)
- September 2017, Trial News, "When They See Just A Fraction of What You Are: Review of Under the Bus: How Working Women are Being Run Over"
- March 2016, Trial Magazine, American Association for Justice, "Sidebar: More Online Marketing Tips"
- June 2012, Bar Bulletin, King County Bar Association, "The Velvet Hammer," by Paul Stritmatter & Catherine Fleming,
- Equifax class action press conference, Sept. 12, 2017
- WSAJ Roundtable, 2017 - "Nuts & Bolts of Class Actions"
- Washington State Bar Association, 2017 - "Ethics & Privacy: Are You Doing Everything to Keep Your Data Secure & Confidential?"
- WSAJ Seminar, 2016 - "Threats & Opportunities: Data Privacy Cases Post-Spokeo" (national audience)
- WSAJ Winter Conference, 2010 - Learn How to Maintain a Successful (and profitable) Law Firm - "Raising Your Firm's Visibility"
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- All Washington State Superior Courts