A powerful champion in a mild mannered package. This is how colleagues and clients often describe Catherine. Ms. Fleming has tackled a wide range of cases at the firm. She brings an impressive array of talents, including her in-depth knowledge/experience in the areas of digital privacy/security.
In a massive data breach case, Ms Fleming is responsible for the inclusion of an amendment of the terms/release of the now approved nine-figure settlement agreement: Catherine’s push for the amendment will preserve consumers’ rights to pursue future claims and prevent a set of potential defendants from getting off the hook. In the end, the federal judge thanked her for raising an important issue and ordered parties to include an amendment to the settlement agreement to address Ms. Fleming’s concerns. This is just a recent example of how Ms. Fleming fights every step of the way with laser-focus on the best interests of her clients. Her clients love her because she fights for them like they are part of her family.
A few of her recent television appearances, include NBC Evening News with Lester Holt, interview with Anna Werner for CBS Evening News (forthcoming), CNN/HLN with Michaela along with virtually all of the local networks (excluding the PBS local affiliate).
Catherine & Ms. Van Fleet, one of her many Equifax clients, speak with KING5 anchor Amanda Grace.
At law school, Catherine served on the board of the law journal, Seattle Journal for Social Justice, as the Research and Technical Editor. She has been instrumental in getting the SKW publications from rough draft to the final publication.
Ms. Fleming began her time at Stritmatter Kessler as a law clerk in 2005. Upon graduating from law school in 2007, Catherine has continued to contribute to the firm with a focus on consumer protection class action, wrongful death, nursing home abuse, insurance bad faith/breach of contract, and serious injury cases. As a carryover from her previous career at high tech companies, including Microsoft and Qwest (now Century Link) and digital marketing agencies, she is particularly passionate about righting wrongs on behalf of consumers who have suffered because of a company’s negligent handling of their sensitive, personal information and/or improper marketing practices.
Ms. Fleming was counsel for the only Washington lead plaintiffs in a national, federal multi-district litigation, In re Anthem Data Breach, for Anthem’s failure to maintain the confidentiality of the personal information of approximately 80 million Americans, in one of the largest data breaches in U.S. history.
Catherine currently represents plaintiffs for class action lawsuits, such as a 2016 defective roof shingle class action, individual digital privacy cases, data breach/consumer protection class actions against Equifax, data breach cases against Anthem/Amerigroup, Johnson & Johnson talc powder/ovarian powder cases along with an array of other consumer protection cases.
Tap to select and view
- Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Cooperating Attorney
- American Association for Justice (AAJ), President's Circle
- American Association for Justice, Data Breach/Privacy Litigation Group Member
- American Association for Justice, Class Action Litigation Group
- Public Justice, Communications Committee Member
- American Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association, Western District of Washington
- Women in Security and Privacy
- International Association for Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Washington State Association for Justice, EAGLE Member
- Washington State Association for Justice, Diversity Committee Co-Chair
- Washington State Association for Justice, CLE Committee Member
- Catharine Blaine PTA, Co-Secretary (2016-2018)
- September 2017, Trial News, "When They See Just A Fraction of What You Are: Review of Under the Bus: How Working Women are Being Run Over"
- March 2016, Trial Magazine, American Association for Justice, "Sidebar: More Online Marketing Tips"
- June 2012, Bar Bulletin, King County Bar Association, "The Velvet Hammer," by Paul Stritmatter & Catherine Fleming,
- Equifax class action press conference, Sept. 12, 2017
- WSAJ Roundtable, 2017 - "Nuts & Bolts of Class Actions"
- Washington State Bar Association, 2017 - "Ethics & Privacy: Are You Doing Everything to Keep Your Data Secure & Confidential?"
- WSAJ Seminar, 2016 - "Threats & Opportunities: Data Privacy Cases Post-Spokeo" (national audience)
- WSAJ Winter Conference, 2010 - Learn How to Maintain a Successful (and profitable) Law Firm - "Raising Your Firm's Visibility"
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- All Washington State Superior Courts