Paul L. Stritmatter
Few attorneys can engage an audience of 12 with the energy and compassion of Paul Stritmatter. He enjoys presenting to juries and winning justice for his plaintiff clients against major auto makers, state and local governments, product manufacturers, contractors and parties in auto collisions. Most recently, Washington Super Lawyers ran a cover article that details Paul's career.
With his love of teaching and sharing with other attorneys, Paul has come out with publications that include, Cross Examination and Subrogation. The latter has a companion website/blog, FightSubro.com.
One of Paul's trademarks is how deeply he develops a personal interest in each client's situation. He builds a relationship of trust and understanding, supporting clients through the entire litigation process. Fervently working on behalf of his clients, Paul has successfully achieved dozens of verdicts and settlements of more than several million dollars each.
Paul has been a leader in the legal community for decades. He is a founding member and was 2003 president of the Trial Lawyers for Public Justice. He also was president of the Washington State Trial Lawyers Association and the Washington State Bar Association. The American Bar Association awarded Paul its Pursuit of Justice Award in 2003 for his lifelong devotion to the profession and for significant contributions to the pursuit of justice.
While his cases and legal association duties take him across the country, Paul is happy to work from the firm's office in Hoquiam, WA, where he was born and raised.
- Willamette University College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1969
- University of Washington, B.A., Economics, 1966
Outside the Office
As much as Paul and his wife Mary Elizabeth enjoy traveling to points around the world, they reserve plenty of "home" time with their two granddaughters.
firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-540-7364
Awards & Achievements
- “Champion of Justice” Award from the Public Justice Foundation, July 2010
- Lifetime Achievement Award from Washington State Association for Justice, December 4, 2009
- Trial Lawyer of the Year award from the American Board of Trial Advocates, Washington Chapter, 2005
- Pursuit of Justice Award, American Bar Association, 2003
- Listed as one of the 60 Grays Harbor County persons over time who have been recognized nationally in various endeavors. The Harbor – A Culture of Success, January 2002.
- Award of Merit, Washington State Bar Association, 1995
- Distinguished Alumni Award in Law, Willamette University, 1994
- Poulsbo Bar Association "Small Town Lawyer Made Good" Award, 1990
- Trial Lawyer of the Year, Washington State Association for Justice (formerly Washington State Trial Lawyers Association)*, 1987
- Listed as one of the 500 Leading Litigants in America by LAWDRAGON, 2006-2009
- Listed in " The Best Lawyers in America" since 1989
- Top 10 Super Lawyer, Washington Law & Politics Magazine since 1989
- Top 100 Super Lawyer, Washington Law & Politics
- Super Lawyer, Washington Law & Politics
- Rated AV by Martindale-Hubbell since 1975
- Washington State Bar Association (president, 1993-94)
- Washington State Head Injury Foundation (1990-93)
- Washington State Association for Justice* (WSAJ) (president, 1984-85)
- WSAJ*, Foundation Board of Directors (2000 - present)
- American Bar Association
- American Judicature Society Association of Trial Lawyers of America (Board of Governors, 1990-93)
- LAW Fund Board of Directors 1990-
- Public Justice (formerly Trial Lawyers for Public Justice) founding member (1982); president (2002-03)
- One of the 500 Leading Litigants in America by LAWDRAGON (2006, 2007)
- American Association for Justice (AAJ) (formerly American Trial Lawyers Association), Board of Governors (1990-1993), State Delegate (1986-90), Public Affairs Committee (1985-87), State Development Fund Board (1985-86), Advisory Task Force to States (1985-86), Circuit Key Men Committee (1985-86), Committee on Ethics (1987-93)
- Chairman, Access to Justice Board, appointed by WA State Supreme Court (1994-98)
* formerly WA State Trial Lawyers Association
Invitational Legal Memberships
- American Bar Foundation
- American Board of Trial Advocates American College of Trial Lawyers
- Damage Attorneys Round Table (president, 1989-92)
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers (Board of Directors, 1998- )
- International Society of Barristers
- The College of Master Advocates & Barristers
- "Ethel Adams v. Farmers Insurance Exchange," WA State Bar Association - High Profile Cases: Experience the Cases with the Lawyers Who Tried Them, Oct. 2008
- "How the Case of Ethel Adams Changed the Law," AAJ, Litigation at Sunrise, July 2007
- "How to Try Damages Without Medical Testimony," WSTLA*, Hot Topics Seminar, Oct. 2006
- "Effective Use of Demonstrative Evidence to Win Sanction Motions for Discovery Violations," WSTLA*, Hot Topics Seminar, Oct. 2006
- "Cross Examination," ATLA [now American Association for Justice (AAJ)], Annual Convention, July 2006
- "Confidentiality in Tort Settlements," Click here to listen to podcast, produced at ATLA Convention with radio host Tony Robinson, 2006.
- "Arguing Damages," WSTLA* Trial Stars, December 2003
- "Closing Argument", WSTLA* Damages seminar, March 2002
- "The Ultimate Sanction/A Case Study", WSTLA* Paris Seminar, Continuing Legal Education, Sept. 2000
- "Why I'm a Trial Lawyer", ATLA [Now AAJ] Annual Convention, July 2000
- "Damages in Mediation and Negotiations", WSTLA* Trial Masters Seminar, Dec. 1999
- "Representing Plaintiffs", University of Washington, Dean's Roundtable Luncheon, Nov. 1998
- "Practicing Law with Civility", WSBA - Winning Strategy for the Successful Private Practice, Sept. 1998
- "The Fine Art of Opening Statements", ACTL, Trial Lawyers' Greatest Hits '97, Dec. 1997
- "Keeping the Faith: Restoring Trust in the Legal Profession", WA Attorney General's Conference, Sept. 1997
- "Presentation and Demonstration of Damages and Closing Statements", WSTLA*, Best of WSTLA Series: Openings, Closings and Presenting Damages, Sept. 1996
- "How to Improve Your Initial Client Interviews & Intake Procedures", University of Washington, 2nd Annual Northwest Trial Mastery Demonstration Program , Deciding Whether to Take the Case, June 1997
- "Representing Plaintiffs", KCBA and Washington Journal
- "Bridging the Gap" program, Dec. 1995
- WSTLA* Convention, July 1987 - "Subrogation - The Primary Intent of the Law"
- WSTLA* Insurance Law Potpourri, December 1977 - "Subrogation."
- WSTLA is now WSAJ (WA Assoc. for Justice)