Leonard's extraordinary legal experience began after graduating from Harvard Law School. He prepared the school segregation cases for the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) Legal Defense and Education Fund, then headed by the late Justice Thurgood Marshall.
After relocating to Washington state in 1953, Leonard was deputy King County prosecutor. He then started a trial practice, which became Schroeter Goldmark & Bender, the Seattle firm that still bears his name. In 1997, Schroeter joined Stritmatter Kessler to continue his commitment to constitutional and public interest law.
Leonard has also been active in international law or legal affairs, serving as Principal Legal Assistant to the Attorney General of Israel and for more than a decade representing samizdat (underground) writers and human rights advocates in the former Soviet Union.
- Harvard University, LL.B., J.D., 1951
- Indiana University; University of Chicago, M.A., International Relations, 1948
Awards & Achievements
- Trial Lawyer of the Year, Washington State Trial Lawyers Association, 1993
- Harry M. Philo Award, Association of Trial Lawyers of America, 1994, For his unwavering dedication and service to his clients and community, his steadfast pursuit of justice for all through our civil justice system and the rule of law, and his unflagging support for the Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Citation of Excellence, Wiedemann Wysocki Award, 1992, 1994, 1996, 1997
- President's Public Interest Award, Trial Lawyers for Public Justice, 1990
- Public Justice Achievement Award, Trial Lawyers for Public Justice
- Special Lifetime Service Award, Washington State Bar Association, 2000 (retired)
- Listed in "Best Lawyers in America"
- Washington State Bar Association
- Washington State Trial Lawyers Association (President, 1963-1964)
- American Civil Liberties Union (Washington State president and board of directors; national board of directors)
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America (board of governors)
- Association of Trial Lawyers Assurance (founder and national board)
- Government Accountability Project (national board)